Hello Neighbors & Newcomers,
Spring is here, and we have started to enjoy meeting together again! We had a great turnout at the spring party at Aloft, Lads’ night, Ladies’ night, Lunch bunch, Book club, walking group, coffee talk…and these are just our standing activities! It takes a village to organize all these events, and we would like to let you all know that we would love if you wanted to be more involved. There will be some board positions coming available for next term, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more!
In April, we invite you to dance Bachata and Salsa. Yes, this is a first, thanks to Saskia and Helena! We also have many favorites on the calendar again in April.
Some of you may encounter difficulty receiving our Newsletter, as it sometimes goes into a spam/promotions filter. Usually searching your inbox for “[month] Newsletter” after the 1st Sunday of the month should allow you to find it, or you can always check the website or Facebook for the content as well.
We always welcome your ideas and feedback. Any questions or comments, feel free to email us at email@example.com or post ideas/thoughts to the Lexington Neighbors & Newcomers Members Facebook group.
Your Newcomers & Neighbors Board
Bachata/Salsa Party @ Havana Club
Saturday, April 30 8pm
Join us on 4/30 for a Saturday Night Bachata/Salsa Party!
We start with a beginner class at 9pm. At 10pm the party starts. Admission will be covered by LNN. Please note that this event is open to the public as well.
Of course we want you to enjoy connecting with your fellow Lexington Neighbors and Newcomers, so we will meet at 8pm for a drink at Havana Club before we kick off the dancing.
Some people have made reservations to dine at Little Donkey before the dancing (6pm). Everyone is on their own to make reservations as desired. http://www.littledonkeybos.com
Please let Saskia know if you plan to attend, so we can be on the look out for you!
- 9-10pm Bachata/Salsa Lessons (Beginner and Intermediate Lessons)
- 10-2am Bachata/Salsa Dance Party
Please note that the Saturday Night Bachata/Salsa parties (and lessons) are 21+ (no exceptions). Parties have a zero tolerance policy toward bad behavior.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual to Elegant (no work boots etc.)
- Beer, Wine, Mixed Drinks, etc. available at Bar
- No partner required
- Beginners very welcome
- No need to pre-register
- Covid safety: Open to all fully vaccinated individuals. (Vax card or photo on phone can serve as proof.)
Music Format: 70% bachata, 25% salsa, 5% merengue/cha chaDirections to 288 Green St, Central Sq, Cambridge
Walking (from Red Line’s Central Stop): From Mass Ave take a left on Prospect St then a left on Green St. It is a one minute walk.
Driving: Take Storrow or Memorial Drive to River St, then turn right on Mass Ave, turn right on Pearl St, and turn right again on Green St.
Parking: There is a large, inexpensive ($2.25/hr, maximum $9/night) parking garage right next door – you can’t miss it!
Wednesdays, April 6/13/27 at 9:30am
Group will ride Lexington-Concord-Lexington on Bedford bike path – Battle Road loop (20 miles) with a coffee/chat break in Concord (for good measure) in the middle. All levels welcome but would recommend against fancy road bikes at this time (dirt paths will be saggy). Instead any hybrid bike will do! Please reach out to Alexia to express interest in this or future bike rides (she may also have a couple of bikes to spare if needed). Event is targeted for Wednesdays (the 6th, 13th, and 27th) and will be adjusted (timing, weather, location, length) as needed based on demand.
Wednesday, April 13 7-10pm
Meet up with the ladies of LNN at Revolution Hall! Please RSVP to Saskia to ensure you receive the latest updates. Feel free to bring along a friend who might be interested in LNN as well!
Lads’ Night ventures to The Gaff on Moody St this month! Email Derek to be added to the Lex Mecs distribution list to find out more details about this and future outings.
Monday, April 25 @ 10:30am
Join us at Peet’s Coffee downtown this month for a drink and great company. Please RSVP to Jen to express interest so that you can receive updates in case anything changes!
Thursday, April 28 at 12pm
Join us at The Painted Burro – Waltham for April lunch bunch. Please RSVP by April 25th to Carol! If you want to take a sneak peek at all the delicious options, please find the menu and more info on the restaurant’s website.
Tuesdays at 9:30am
Weekly location will be sent to the walking group email distribution prior to the hike. Please reach out to Debbie with questions!
Thursday, April 14 at 7pm
April’s Book Club will be on Thursday, April 14th, 2022 and we will be reviewing “Anxious People” by Fredrik Backman.
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove comes a poignant comedy about a crime that never took place, a would-be bank robber who disappears into thin air, and eight extremely anxious strangers
who find they have more in common than they ever imagined.
Viewing an apartment normally doesn’t turn into a life-or-death situation, but this particular open house becomes just that when a failed bank robber bursts in and takes everyone in the apartment hostage. As the pressure mounts, the eight strangers begin slowly opening up to one another and reveal long-hidden truths.
Rich with Fredrik Backman’s “pitch-perfect dialogue and an unparalleled understanding of human nature” (Shelf Awareness), Anxious People’s whimsical plot serves up unforgettable insights into the human condition and a gentle reminder to be compassionate to all the anxious people we encounter every day.
In order to ensure everyone’s health and comfort in an in-person gathering, we are suggesting that all participants take a Covid home test on the day of Book Club. This is not mandatory nor is proof of test required to attend.
RSVP by April 13th to firstname.lastname@example.org. On the morning of April 14th, we will email the time of the meeting and the address of our host to all. Please bring a drink of your choice and/or snacks to share.
Additional Upcoming Events
If you have hobbies or activities that you would like to share with other LNN members, please reach out to Helena to share more information and discuss the possibility of hosting an event!
- To stay up to date on the latest news in between newsletters, please join our Facebook group!
- Don’t forget about the Small Yet Mighty Winter Market (Lexington Farmers’ Market) with one date remaining (April 16th) in the winter season. And stay tuned for the Regular Season Market to gear back up starting in May! https://www.lexingtonfarmersmarket.org/
- Lexington Symphony has some great upcoming events to check out. Learn more and buy tickets on their website.
- April 9 @ 3pm: Concert for Families – A Musical Journey Through Time! Featuring a special performance by a local 10-year-old violin prodigy. (Note: This concert for all ages is the field trip typically enjoyed by all Lexington 3rd graders pre-pandemic. All of the instruments are introduced as they join the orchestra in this engaging, interactive program. If you have a current 3rd or 4th grader, this is a chance for the whole family to see the program they weren’t able to attend when field trips were not possible. And no matter your age, if you’ve always wanted to know more about orchestras, now’s your chance!)
- April 30 @ 7:30pm: Spring POPS! MUSIC, MOVIES, AND MEDIA
- Consider some Spring cleaning to benefit the community. Lexington Human Services Department in Partnership with Catie’s Closet is hosting a Spring Clothing Drive for Local Kids. Click the photo to learn more.